Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Clay Saves the Day!

For the past 10 years I have not done "real" clay projects with my Kindergartners or First Graders. I don't know what my issue was...clay is just SO much work (for me...loading the kiln, setting the kiln, unloading the kiln, labeling work, making sure bags are zipped close, scraping scraps off the floor, refilling vinegar containers, fishing lost clay tools from drains, etc...!)

This year I took the plunge and made pinch pots with my Kindergartners and First Graders! I love how honestly and lopsided they turned out--that sort of thing makes my heart SWOON! 

More posts to come on these lumpy, lopsided little lovelies!

2 comments:

  1. I also decided that I'm going to take the plunge this year and do real clay projects with my younger students. The goal: do one real clay project with each grade level each year. So far, I've done 4th, 5th and 6th grade, which are my usual classes. I am planning a spring clay project for 3rd grade, and I've made fossils with my 1st graders. Now I just need to cover Kindergarten and 2nd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this feeling too. I took a clay lesson recently, the only problem was the weather. We are not normally very warm here in Wellington, but the day I chose was. We are experiencing an official drought. The clay dried very quickly, while they worked with it. The children had a ball, but I fear the results will be less than flash.

    ReplyDelete